Sailing Race- July 13th . 3pm – 4:30pm
If we need to postpone because of bad weather, we will email everyone who has signed up in advance, and post the rain date on the SSCA Facebook page by 9:00 am on race day.
RACE RESULTS AND REFRESHMENTS: 5:00 pm at the SSCA Community Centre dock.
WHERE: South of Frying Pan Island
The starting line will be the green channel marker between Shelly (Gaviller) Island, Copperhead Island and Double Island..
We will be setting buoys to mark a triangular course. The course direction is counter-clockwise.
- Bring any sailboat, large or small.
- We will recognize the boats/sailors with 1) the fastest time and 2) the fastest handicap-adjusted times (if we can find a handicap rating for your boat)
If you need (or can provide) a tow for a small sailboat between the community centre and the starting line, please let us know and be at the Community Centre by 2:30 pm. We will also organize tows back to the SSCA Community Centre at the end of the race.
TO REGISTER / JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Please email email@example.com
Where does the race start and end?
The starting line (also the finish line is between the committee boat (anchored) and the green navigation marker. You will sail south across the line, around the yellow race markers, and across the starting line again to finish.
How do I know when to start?
You can cross the line when you hear a single whistle (or boat horn) and the last flag drops:
- 5 minutes before start: double whistle or horn, first flag raised on committee boat
- 4 minutes before start: double whistle or horn, second flag raised
- 1 minute before start: double whistle or horn, second flag lowered (first flag still up)
- Start: single horn blast or whistle, first flag lowered (so no flags showing)
Who has right of way?
If you are “P-O-W”, yield to the other boat:
- (P)ort tack (wind coming over port side) – yields to boat on starboard tack
- (O)vertaking boat – yields to the boat being overtaken
- (W)indward boat – yields to the downwind (leeward) boat