2012 Annual General Meeting
SSCA AGM-July 28, 2012
Directors Present: Bert Liverance, Barb Cerny, Sue Herbold, Paul Treichel, , Eric Armour, Fred Schweitzer, Peter Storms, Gregg Scott
Absent: Chris Goulding, Craig Losos, Nancy Powis, Helen Notzl, Stuart Hatcher, Carolyn Singer, Natalie Scott, David Ashley
SSCA Advisory Board present : John Seagram, Bill McNeill, Sandy Phillips, Ted Christie, John Pepperell, Penny Pepperell, Bob Lee, Sandy Boyd
Absent: Rupert Kindersley
- Minutes Approved – last year’s AGM ( July 23, 2011)
- Treasurers Report
- Sue Herbold presented financials which were approved ( report attached)
- David Ashley investigated using paypal for members to pay dues. Will cost $500 setup fee plus 3% user fee. No one present wanted to proceed given these costs.
- feedback about new staff is excellent
- roof on Dockhouse done mid July by Chris Goulding and others
- Eric Armour attended the IJC (International Joint Commission reporting on water levels) where there were 1500 attendees (July 16th)
- water level in Georgian Bay has dropped 23 em since 1960s due to:
- Isostatic adjustment (geological phenomenon)
- Climate change
- Dredging of shipping channels in St Clair River
- Recent study by Upper Great Lakes Study Board (International Joint Commission) did not recommend implementing multi-lake regulation due to: high costs, environmental concerns and uncertainty about effects of climate change
- Study recommended creating advisory board to administer management strategy for entire Great Lakes – St. Lawrence River system
- comments can be mailed or submitted online be1:ore ::~ ·L 2D”j 2·
- SSCA members encouraged to provide comments. Eric Armour will provide template to do so by end August
- No water testing will be completed in 2012 by SSCA as levels in past 2 years did not show reason for concern and Township of Archipelago will continue their water testing program (e-coli and coli form)
- tap water testing planned for Aug 13th( eblast with details to follow)
- –yearbook was late due to finalizing advertising ( has increased over past year)
- – Naomi Campbell to join Board and work with Peter Storms
- current members 450
- everyone should encourage new members ( brochures in Dockhouse)
- Fire and Safety
- Fire demonstration cancelled as all MNR hands needed on standby due to extreme threat of fire. Show of hands indicated members would like to reschedule for next year.
- Fred Schweitzer compiled list of where all medical help is available ( to post on website and include in Directory at the front, adding Telehealth Ont number
- defibrillator should be identified as such and NOT an AED (as most don’t know what this stands for) and all first aid equipment to be kept in the room beside kitchen in Dockhouse with a large red sign on door. Will remain unlocked at all times.
- those wanting to purchase their own should contact Parry Sound EMS for recommendation (approx $2000)
Natalie Scott was away however all running smoothly
- Day Camp having a successful year
- spots still available for Aug 8-15 Sailing Camp
- Pot Luck numbers increasing and jazz band huge success
- $850 raised in the latest desert auction to be used to fund extras
- next one is Aug 11th Mexican Fiesta theme
- Regatta organized by Greg Cunningham who is looking for a replacement for next year
- thanks to Dennis Hauk and George Webster for food and drink donations
- Nominating Committee
- 3 nominations to Board approved: Naomi Campbell to join Communications, Gregg Scott to continue on Membership , Peter Storms to continue on Communications
- need new volunteers to help on various committees- will use Facebook to try and recruit (Natalie)
- Ward 4
Penny Pepperell chaired ad hoc committee last year to assess how the SSCA should deal with municipal election candidates.
The committee recommended :
- the Association continue to endorse candidates for municipal office.
- the Board should make a concerted and public effort to encourage people who may be thinking of running to come forward and discuss their candidacy with a view to gaining the Association’s endorsement.
- the Board should hold all-candidates meetings and otherwise provide the means by which all the candidates can address the members of the Association.
:Municipal election in two years • If you are thinking about running contact pennypepperell@ rogers.com
Ted Christie provided the following information:
- Deerhorn Conference not happening this year due to lack of interest. Possibly 2013.
- Parry Sound hospital has introduced fast tracking for non emergency patients- from Mon-Fri (noon-4pm) there is now a separate waiting area and these patients will be dealt with separately from emergency (should reduce waiting times)
- Increasing bear issues this year with a lot of break ins on Mclaren Island due to bears that are starving
- reduced funding of MNR means cottagers will likely have to pay to have bears dealt with -by-law passed to ban feeding of bears ($5000 fine)
- concern raised about having no waste disposal open 2 days a week i.e. tues closed everywhere). Ted Christie and Rick Zanussi to review rotating closures so at least one is open.
- Remy Leblanc– collection took place to help replace $1800 in lost ice cream from boat accident ( eblast to all SSCA members to follow)
- Nancy Bowen highlighted efforts of Derek Bowen in setting up webcam at their cottage for all to view the Bay during winter. Will continue this year with additional info about water levels. All appreciate the effort and thanked Derek Bowen.
- Peter Hatcher suggested we make improvements to Dockhouse using Ray Murakami and Ann Johnston ( SSCA members, design team).
- member questioned whether there was a strategy in place for the buildings on the property-Bert Liverance stated that it has been undecided due to cost involved and dissension on how to proceed.
Motion carried to close the July 28th, 2012 AGM.
2012 Finacial Statement